Punta Cana, Dominican Republic – Part I

At last I got my wish: a trip to the Dominican Republic! Hello Punta Cana, with your lovely palm trees, blue skies, clear water, smooth sandy beaches, beautiful resorts, and tasty food. Like usual, we traveled in February as it’s the easiest time for the both of us to take holidays together. At first the idea of going to the Dominican started out as a chance for Jordan and I and our friends, Reg and Michelle, to take a trip together. We even chose the hotel that they’d stayed at a couple years earlier – the Occidental Grand Flamenco Resort in Punta Cana. Unfortunately, our friends had to cancel due to not having someone to watch their little boy, but my husband and I decided to book anyway. We got what I think was a really sweet Air Canada all-inclusive package out of Toronto, just before the price rocketed sky-high. We brought US dollars to purchase souvenirs. The time zone is the same as Ontario, however Punta Cana is an hour ahead in the winter because the country doesn’t keep daylight savings time. As usual, I kept a journal.

{February 8 – 8:20 am EST – Toronto Pearson Airport}
Yesterday after work we drove to the Hilton Garden Inn located near the Toronto airport. We had a late dinner in the hotel’s restaurant, splitting a very delicious chicken parmesan sandwich with a side of sweet potato fries. A little pricey, but it was worth it. I’m glad we didn’t order two meals because it was almost too much food. This morning I woke up at 5 am to shower and make sure everything was packed up properly. We went down to breakfast and had the $8.00 cold buffet, then caught the 7:30 am shuttle to terminal 1. Waiting at gate E80 right now; boarding is at 9:45 am. For some reason we couldn’t get seats together.

{February 8 – 8:00 pm EST – Punta Cana}
When boarding time came and our flight wasn’t announced, I checked the screen only to realize that the gate had been changed. Other travelers began to notice this as well and we all rushed to the new gate. At the new gate we had our seats changed so that we could sit together. Flight took off a little late but we still arrived on schedule. During the flight beverages were free but any food or snacks were available for a fee. By this time I was absolutely starving, and when I get really hungry I also get a headache. Since our seats were at the very back of the plane, we were the last to be served drinks and of course there was only licorice, chips, and noodle cups left. I don’t usually buy food on the plane but I needed to eat something; that cup of noodles for $3.00 was disappointing but at least it was food.

Upon arrival at the Punta Cana airport, we skipped the long line for tourist cards since ours were included with the trip package. Customs didn’t even look at the forms we’d filled out on the plane; they just took them and waved us on. We made our way to the parking lot in search of our bus and arrived at the resort a little after 6 pm. At check-in we were asked for our voucher but I guess I never received one from itravel2000. I printed out and had with me every email the site had sent me about the package but there was no voucher so I don’t know what I was supposed to give them. Anyway, the hotel staff just had us sign a paper. We were also given a complimentary fruity beverage. After getting our luggage a staff member drove us to building #13 (room 201). Very close to the beach (less than 2 minutes) but a longer walk to the lobby and restaurants. Went looking for food after getting settled in. The buffet wasn’t open for dinner just yet so we decided to go to the pizzeria. Then we just wandered around the grounds to get familiar with the resort. At the lobby we paid $25 USD for the key to the in-room safe (for a week).

The beautiful beach

Looking out to sea... Posing on the beach

{February 9 – 10:45 am EST – Punta Cana}
Woke up early to shower and headed down to the breakfast buffet for a quick bite to eat. Meeting in lobby with our tour representative at 9 am. She gave us a bunch of information on the resort and available excursions, and said that if we ever needed anything we were to talk to her first. Afterward we booked two dinner reservations: La Hacienda (Mexican) for 6:30 pm on February 10th and Via Venneto (Italian) for 6:30 pm on February 13th.

Still hungry after the meeting so Jordan and I went back for more breakfast! I had some French toast, a sugar donut, and a delicious glass of freshly-made banana milkshake. Jordan had a plate of fresh fruit and some milkshake as well. Great food selection for breakfast. Earlier he had tried a mochaccino from the lobby bar (our friends had raved about them) and turns out they are very good! We ended up drinking many of them throughout our stay. We went for a walk around the grounds to work off breakfast and then returned to our room around 11:15 am to change into swimsuits. For some reason there was no water when Jordan tried to shower; good thing I showered this morning!

{February 9 – 3:00 pm EST – Punta Cana}
Went down to the main pool but there were no available loungers, of course. None on the beach either. No surprize there! Instead we just walked along the beach (facing the ocean, we walked to the right side). Perfect weather! The sky was very blue with just a few clouds. The water was also very refreshing on our feet. We took many photos along the way. After about an hour of walking, we returned to the resort for lunch. I ordered the pasta with white sauce that the staff make right in front of you. Mmm, it’s my favourite! Relaxed after lunch by sitting at a table outside the lobby area sipping mochaccinos and basking in the sunshine. A little later we returned to our room to change shoes only to discover that we had no power!

{February 9 – 6:30 pm EST – Punta Cana}
Turns out most of the resort was without power for little over an hour due to the hotel replacing a transformer. During that time we just walked around, checked out the spa facilities, and had some drinks. The sex-on-the-beach and lime margaritas were terrible but Jordan enjoyed his Presidente and also a Pepsi with whisky. Unfortunately, no power meant no flushing toilets and nothing but candlelight in the lobby washrooms!

We changed into our swimwear again at 5:30 pm, only to realize that the towel hut closed ten minutes early. So we sat around on the beach enjoying the breeze. I brought my Canon 60D and took some photos while Jordan went swimming in the ocean. So far the weather has been great; very hot during the day but a nice cool breeze in the evening.

{February 9 – 10:00 pm EST – Punta Cana}
Back from dinner! I had beef lasagna and a ham and cheese calzone. Oh, that calzone was heavenly! For dessert I ordered crepes from the “crepes station”: fresh slices of banana, vanilla ice cream, and chocolate syrup. Jordan tried some fish, rice, and various cheeses. I think we were there for a good hour or more, eating and chatting with the couple sitting at the table next to us. After eating we wandered back to the lobby so I could purchase wifi for our room ($25 USD for 25 hours worth of internet than could be used anytime over a 7 day period – I even connected to it using my iPhone on the beach). Ordered more mochaccinos and sat in the lobby to relax. On our walk back to the room there was a beautiful full moon in the sky!

{February 10 – 8:30 am EST – Punta Cana}
Woke up at 6:30 am this morning because we booked a tour with Punta Cana Mike for the Higuey Circle tour. Unfortunately, we received an email from him canceling due to severe muscle strain in his neck and shoulders. While this was disappointing because we were really looking forward to this tour, there isn’t much we could do about it and we appreciate that he at least emailed to let us know. I had some school supplies with us that I was going to donate but instead I’ll just leave them in the room on our last day. Now we have the day free. What to do? For starters, breakfast! Must have rained early because the pathways are wet and the sky is gray.

{February 10 – 8:40 pm EST – Punta Cana}
Calling it a night! It’s certainly been a long day. For breakfast I had a delicious omelet and a donut with a glass of fresh orange juice. Afterward we walked down to the beach and turned left facing the ocean this time. Walked for about forty minutes before turning around. All the time the sky was pretty gray but no rain. We came back for lunch around 1:15 pm and I had that awesome pasta again. I can’t get enough of it.

Before our walk we had spoken to our tour rep about taking the shuttle bus to Nicole’s shop this afternoon. We were picked up at 2:30 pm at the gates to the hotel. The bus turned right and passed the Bavaro Plaza. Nicole’s shop is at an old golf course. We browsed for a bit, more interested in the scenery than the jewelry. Mostly this was just something for us to do to pass the time. I ended up purchasing 2 bags of Santo Domingo coffee for $12 USD. When we got bored in there, we came outside and waited for the shuttle to come back. Jordan chatted with an older gentleman from Quebec; this nice man suggested we try shopping at “the stores near the pharmacy just past the Bavaro Plaza”. We also had a nice conversation with a guy from Peterborough.

Tipped the shuttle driver $2 USD to let us off across the street from Bavaro Plaza so we could explore on foot. We browsed through the stores in the Plaza but the vendors are extremely pushy and got upset if they didn’t get their way. That definitely turned me off from wanting to spend money there. We left and crossed the street again and looked through a few more shops but didn’t buy anything. At this point it was very warm and we were tired so we walked the short distance back to the hotel.

Had dinner at the Mexican restaurant tonight, “La Hacienda”. I ordered the chicken fajitas and Jordan ordered the Azteca dish (tortilla strips with chicken and re-fried beans). The food was very tasty but the fajitas weren’t served with shredded cheese, only a cheese sauce like what one would put on nachos (yuck). The dessert, “milk cake”, was really good as well. After eating we browsed through the vendor stalls that had set up outside the lobby area by the main pool. I ended up buying 2 necklaces for $15 USD, which is probably more than they are worth but I didn’t care so much as I hadn’t done much spending.

***Continued in next post.