Germany – Part II

***Continued from previous post.

{November 7 – 10:00 am – Berlin}
Another dreary day. It’s cold outside; I’m thankful for my mittens and warm winter coat. Having breakfast at a small cafe just down the hill from the hotel. Scrambled eggs for myself and a bread/meat/cheese platter for Jordan. Reasonably priced. There’s only 2 little tables in the cafe.

Jordan's breakfast (Nov 7) Neue Synagogue City toilet

{November 7 – 7:45 pm – Berlin}
Eating dinner at “Kilkenny Irish Pub” at Hackescher Markt. Splitting a BLT sandwich, which is huge, some water, and pumpkin soup. (Cost: €10) Another long day that I’ll write about when we return to the hotel.

{November 7 – 9:00 pm – Berlin}
I think this is our earliest night! My whole body aches from walking and carrying my DSLR all day. My feet are sore. But it’s been a good day, despite the weather. So, after we finished breakfast this morning we returned to the hotel and filled up our empty juice bottles with water. That will save us a bit of money (mostly for Jordan, as he drinks a lot more than I do). Then we caught the tram to Hackescher Markt and walked over to Museum Island to the kiosk for the Neues Museum. The lady told us it was an extra €4 per person to enter the museum. Jordan was mad about that as we had already paid for the Welcome Cards that included Museum Island. We ended up not paying the extra money. I really wanted to see the Egyptian collection, including the bust of Nefertiti, but we are trying to save money here and there.

Reichstag government building

Next we hopped onto a double-Decker #100 bus and got off in front of the Reichstag building. Nice to finally see this place in the daylight. Took some pictures and Jordan took a couple with me standing in front of the building. Left there and walked back to get some daylight photos of Brandenburg Gate. And then finally continued walking until we reached the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. We walked through the stelae until we found the main entrance to the underground museum centre. We went through security (they scan our bags, coats, etc just like at the airport) and entered the free museum. The warmth inside was wonderful. We spent some time inside, walking through the Holocaust exhibits room by room but there was so much information and things to see that we just skimmed through. I don’t know how to describe the feeling I got from seeing the exhibits….

Brandenburg Gate in daylight Stelae Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in daytime

Jordan replicating a postcard we saw

Moved on to the Topography of Terrors building to use the free washroom and to see the Berlin Wall in daylight. So far we haven’t had to pay for use of a toilet! By then it was raining and we decided to make our way to the Natural History Museum. Took awhile to find Invalidenstrasse but I remember we took a U-bahn and then walked some. On the way, since we were getting hungry, we bought some fries from a currywurst stand. They were so good! While walking by Potsdamerplatz I spotted waffles so we stopped for one of those too (nutella and whipped cream). I ate the whole thing myself! Once we reached the museum we got reduced admission with the Welcome Cards. We spent an hour and a half there. The first exhibit room is filled with dinosaur replicas. As we continued through, there were many neat things to see like precious rocks, replica animals, solar system, etc.

Berlin Wall Fries from currywurst stand Belgian waffle with nutella Naturkindemuseum Jordan with a dinosaur Earth

Zirconia

Tiger Jordan at the museum Amorak truck

After that museum we made our way back to Hackescher Markt to the Irish pub for dinner. Jordan was determined that we would locate the Volkswagon dealership we had walked by on Friedrichstrasse the other day, so off we went again! We did find it, after asking a local who Googled on his smartphone, and spent some time looking at the Amorak truck. Boring for me, but fun for Jordan.

{November 8 – 12:00 pm – Berlin}
So jet-lagged still! I don’t remember feeling so tired and achy the last time we came to Europe. Ready to head out for the day. The original plan was to go to Charlottenburg Palace today, but it will depend on how we’re feeling after lunch. We should have been up early in order to spend a good amount of time at the Palace.

{November 8 – 1:30 pm – Berlin}
Still haven’t made it to Charlottenburg Palace. Took us forever to find a place to eat, like usual. I don’t know why that is. We seem to wander around for ages before agreeing on a restaurant or cafe. Finally we settled on “Cancun” in Alexanderplatz. I ordered the chicken quesadillas and Jordan’s having chilli. We shared a banana milkshake. (Cost: €15) Before we found the restaurant, we wandered around Alexanderplatz and viewed the giant World Clock. At a store just off the main square I bought a pink Berlin bag (Cost: €6), keychain (Cost: €4.44), and deck of cards (Cost: €3.95). The cards are for Angela.

World Clock Quesadillas at "Cancun" In front of Marienkirche and TV Tower Posing with a giant seahorse Grosser Stern Sculptures in Grosser Tiergarten

{November 8 – 8:15 pm – Berlin}
At the Landsberger Allee S-bahn station having pizza and chicken schnitzel cheap. I don’t know the name of the restaurant. We didn’t make it to Charlottenburg Palace as I wasn’t feeling well after our Mexican lunch (although it was delicious at the time). I felt better in the late afternoon and it didn’t make sense to go all the way out there by then. Mostly we just walked around and explored the city. Took a few pictures of the Rathaus (city call) and Marienkirche with the TV Tower in the background.

Funkturm (radio tower) Motorbike sculpture Pizza for dinner (Nov 8)

Ended up on an S-bahn to the Zoologischer Garten station, then bus #100 to Großer Stern (in Großer Tiergarten) to view the giant Victory column. We spent a bit of time there, but as it was raining and getting dark we wanted to keep moving. After taking some pictures, we caught the bus back to the Zoologischer Garten S-bahn station. Jordan had found something called Funkturm Tower (radio tower) on our map and wanted to see if we could find it. So we got on another S-bahn and headed over. We did end up finding it after a lot of walking. I’m not even sure which station we got off at. If I wasn’t so terrified of heights, we could have gone up the Tower in an elevator. I’m not so fond of elevators that you can see out of.

***Continued in next post.