An update on Khloë’s illness

As Khloë’s symptoms were not improving, and her cough and rattling breath was worrying me, I took her to see her doctor late Wednesday afternoon. On Monday she had seen a nurse practitioner, but this time it was her family physician. Dr K took a look at her and said that it looked like bronchiolitis.

She sent us down the hall to the ER (the health team is located in a hospital) and we checked Khloë in. They took us right away. She was examined by another doctor and given a steroid drug that would help with her breathing and breaking up the mucous. Khloë was getting upset by this time; she really wasn’t feeling well and didn’t like the constant poking and prodding. The doctor sent us to the X-ray department because she wanted to rule out pneumonia.

Jordan had to put her in the Pigg-O-Stat, a contraption that looks like a torture device to children (and to Mommy). She was closed in with her arms above her head, crying because she didn’t know what was happening; I felt so terrible for having her in there. The technician took the x-rays very quickly, though, and within minutes Khloë was out. She looked so pathetic and sad in that thing.

After that ordeal, we went back to see the ER doctor. She said she’d had a look at the scans, but without a radiologist there to examine them, she wasn’t 100% certain it was pneumonia. She said she could put Khloë on an antibiotic that it may turn out she didn’t need, or we could wait until the next morning for the radiologist to view the scans. We decided to wait for the results.

Because Khloë wasn’t nursing very well with her difficulty breathing, I woke up at 4 am Wednesday morning with a severe pain in my left breast. Mastitis struck again! By 10:30 am I had developed a fever, headache, and chills. Khloë and I slept most of the day until it was time to see Dr K. At Khloë’s appointment I mentioned that I was sure I had mastitis again. One quick peek, and Dr K wrote me a prescription for clindamycin.

So we went home with sick baby and antiobiotics for Mommy.

Thursday morning Khloë seemed in better spirits. The rash on her face and torso had disappeared. However as the day progressed she got fussy and began to cluster feed. She still isn’t feeling well but she was at least breathing better. I continued to give her Tylenol to help her sleep.

By today (Saturday), I could tell she’s feeling better, though she does have a lingering cough. We plan on heading to Kingston for a few days to visit family. Unfortunately, I came down with a cold Wednesday night and I feel pretty miserable right now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*