First trimester: Weeks 4 – 13

The reason this post has taken so long to show up is because I wasn’t sure how to put it together. I have been keeping a journal and taking weekly pictures of my growing bump. My due date is December 16th, 2013. 😀

Week 4
I found out I was 4 weeks pregnant on a Friday. I had waited 6 days past my longest luteal phase, then peed on a stick. I kind of had an inkling that something felt different, and I was ecstatic to see that plus sign show up! After all our fertility issues over the years, this was finally happening. It also felt very unreal. My earlier symptoms were typical of “that time of the month”, except that I tired easily. I had assumed my exhaustion was from shoveling the driveway every single day! (Yes, we still had snow.) After the weekend passed, I called the local midwife centre and left my information, hoping that they would have room for me as I didn’t have a doctor here. Two days later I received the great news that I would have a midwife!

Week 5 (April 15)
These were my symptoms that week: peeing way more than I normally did (and I usually pee a LOT); constantly feeling like I needed to put food in my belly; mild period-like cramps; that wonderful bloated feeling; and the need to nap every afternoon for 30 minutes to an hour. I hadn’t been sick to my stomach yet. The only thing that worried me was sometimes I would get a sharp, stabbing pain that would double me over (in Canadian Tire, no less). However, there’d been no spotting or bleeding. My first midwife appointment would be April 26th.

Week 6 (April 22)
This week I met Kilmeny, one of the midwives I would be seeing throughout my pregnancy. We discussed my health history; I explained about my abnormally long cycles and that because I temped I knew when I had ovulated and that I was due December 16th. She gave me a requisition to have blood work done (eek!) and explained that I would need a dating ultrasound to be sure.

The only new symptom this week was queasiness. My next appointment was set up for May 31st.

Weeks 6-7

Weeks 6-7

Week 7 (April 29)
Where we live, there are two hospitals. The smaller one is located about a 10 minute drive from our house. The larger one, where I’ve chosen to give birth, is more like 40 minutes. For the dating ultrasound, I chose the closer hospital to go to. That appointment was set for May 28th. The receptionist on the phone explained that I would not be allowed to see the baby on the screen or be given any information regarding the ultrasound. (The reasoning behind this is because the small hospital doesn’t have a radiologist on staff and the ultrasound images would be sent away to be examined. I would receive the information 3 days later.)

Still no “morning sickness”, but the queasiness bothered me. I found myself eating a lot of bagels and cottage cheese.

Week 8 (May 6)
Nothing new to note in regard to symptoms. I went in for bloodwork, which I’m normally okay with even though I’m not a fan of needles. What helps me get through it is to just look away and breathe slowly. Unfortunately, near the end of the second phial of blood, the nurse told me that my vein had collapsed and she might have to find another one. As soon as those words were out of her mouth, I began to feel faint and a cold sweat broke out on my face and neck. My body started shaking in reaction. The nurse squished my vein a bit and happily said that she had been able to fill the last phial. She noticed that I was about to faint and immediately had me put my head between my knees. After she bandaged my arm, she had me lay down with an ice pack on my neck. I think I laid there for a good 20 minutes before I started to feel like a normal person again. I have never reacted that way to bloodwork before! I felt ill and light-headed the rest of the day and slept for 2 hours after arriving home.

Weeks 8-9

Weeks 8-9

Week 9 (May 13)
Where the heck did that belly come from?! Almost overnight it looked like I had developed a “food baby”. Since most of my tops were fitted, it was difficult to disguise unless I wore a zip-up hoodie. My jeans became too tight buttoned up, so I had to wear them undone but with a hair elastic holding them closed. Stretchy yoga pants were my new best friend. I hadn’t gained any weight, but the queasiness disappeared!

I decided to tell my mom on Skype the good news and show off my brand-new gut. She completely freaked out–with happiness–and I almost peed myself laughing at her reaction!

Week 10 (May 20)
This week Jordan and I drove to Ottawa to shop for some maternity clothes before he went away for the summer. I found one pair of jeans that fit my tiny frame properly and one long black skirt at “Motherhood Maternity”. Maternity clothes are really expensive and most of them are way too big on me. (No surprize there, as normal clothes tend to not fit me properly either.)

Sciatica started to bother me around this time. I’ve suffered from sciatica over the years so it wasn’t anything new. We also Skyped with the in-laws and Jordan’s grandparents and told them about the baby. The reason we told them so early was because I wanted them to hear the news from both of us and not after Jordan left for a tasking up north. Still need to tell my dad.

Weeks 10-11

Weeks 10-11

Week 11 (May 27)
I sent my dad an email with a photo of my bump and the note to “call me when you get this!” Took him a couple days to check his email, but he called and joked that I must have been eating too many hamburgers. He’s excited!

I had the dating ultrasound this week. I was told to drink 1 litre of water but I only drank 500 mL and thought I was gonna die from the pain in my bladder. Before leaving for the hospital, I peed and then drank a bit more but I still couldn’t walk unless I was bent over. The drive over was supreme torture. During the sonogram, I swear the technologist kept pushing the transducer directly onto my bladder! Finally she told me to go to the bathroom because my bladder was too full. No kidding!? As stated before, Jordan wasn’t allowed in the room and I didn’t get to see the screen while she finished the ultrasound. I wanted a confirmation that there was only one baby in there but the tech said I’d have to wait for the results.

My appointment for May 31st was cancelled due to another woman going into labour. Rescheduled for June 4th. I was dying to know the results of the ultrasound. On the phone, Suki explained that my iron levels were excellent and that everything looked great with the baby! She confirmed that I was 11 weeks along and due December 16th (no surprize there).

Week 12 (June 3)
My midwife appointment with Kilmeny this time was quick and painless. She asked if we had given any thought to prenatal classes, but I honestly don’t think we will go. For starters, Jordan will be away on course during my third trimester (oh the joy of being a military wife) and can’t guarantee that he can come home on specific weekends. She used the Doppler to search for a heartbeat, but it was too early in my pregnancy to hear it. Next appointment was set up for July 4th and would be with a substitute midwife. No new symptoms to report.

Weeks 12-13

Weeks 12-13

Week 13 (June 10)
The skin on my belly was starting to feel stretched and sensitive around this time. Sciatica was causing me pain in my lower back and hips, making stairs difficult (or getting out of bed, or up off the couch, etc). Occasionally I found my ribs aching. I continued to eat as normal, with the addition of extra fruit and vegetables, and successfully gained 4 lbs! Up to this point I hadn’t thrown up or had any bleeding.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *